Students in Spanish classes
before they go "intercambioing"
Madrid: the intercambio capital
Madrid is buzzing with intercambios. Our top tips are:
• Café Galdós, a centrally located bar where the welcoming intercambio group Madrid Babel meet. AIL Madrid’s absolute favourite! (Wednesdays from 8.30pm and Sundays from 7.00pm)
• The James Joyce Irish Pub, perfect for laid-back types who are fond of cold beer and comfort (Mondays at 8.30pm).
• BeerStation, decorated like an old train station and boasting a dizzying array of beers (Thursdays at 10pm)
• J&J Books and Coffee, where you can enjoy English quiz nights (Fridays), and intercambios on Wednesdays, Thursdays and now Saturdays too (from 8pm)
• Downtown Madrid, perfect for people looking to hear lots of different languages (not just Spanish and English) and enjoy some old-school music from the 80s and 90s (Thursdays 6pm to 11.30pm)
Benefits of Intercambios
|People from all over the world meet|
in intercambios in Madrid
Another benefit of intercambios is that you really see your progress! Through speaking Spanish with natives, for every gap in your knowledge that you encounter, five more will be filled without even opening a textbook! In intercambios, you will also encounter idioms and slang “que son la leche” that you would never learn at school or from other “guiris”! If you’re studying a language in that culture, you have a golden opportunity to consolidate your learning: Still stuck on when to use the subjunctive? Go to the intercambio armed with a collection of Spanish phrases where you aren’t sure if the subjective applies or not, and whip them out! Lose the shyness; they wouldn’t be there if they didn’t want to help!
Boost your Spanish and share your culture
AIL Madrid’s last visit to the James Joyce Irish Pub
Language Exchange… a great night was had by all!
Also by going out with locals, you can get off the beaten track insider tips on the best spots in the city.
In this day and age, the opportunities to speak Spanish with natives are limitless! With the internet, you can find a Skype partner to chat without leaving your house, an email pen-pal to write to, chat-rooms to talk in real time with natives, not to mention endless Facebook groups where people can share their language from around the globe. But perhaps the most enjoyable way to gain the benefits of an intercambio is in person!
So what are you waiting for? See you there!